Jungle Janie's Blog

Blog posts are below this welcome...

This Blog is best viewed from my JungleJanie.com site, rather than from blogspot directly 'cause you'll also have access to my pre-blogging journals dating back to 2002 when I started this journey, additional photos, my social networking site profile badges, and a whole lot more. There's an internal scroll bar on the right to navigate this Blog when on my site too.

Enjoy & Aloha!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday 5-13-08 & update

to sleep between 9:30 and 10pm last night

3am: up to shower and get ready for day
skipped temperature today - too awake when it was time

4am left for job

5am-9:30am job at gym

9:30am 2 bananas to hold me over for workout
change clothes from job for workout

20-25 min rowing machine
15 min dumbbell weights: 3 sets of flys on bench w/ 12s; 3 sets of lateral arm raises decreasing weights (8, 7, 6, 5, 3; 7, 5, 3; 7, 5, 3); 2 sets up front delts to side & down, up side and front down w/5's.

10:20am shower and street clothes to farm

10:30am eat bananas on way to farm and at farm
change to farm clothes at farm

10:45-ish to 12:45-ish hand weeding at farm
change to street clothes at farm

12:45-1:45 errands, etc.

1:45 back at farm, drink OJ
change to farm clothes & hand water personal garden area, seeded flats & pots, etc.

(yeah, as you can see, I change clothes a lot these days, heh. It helps keep the non-farming clothes from getting too dirty. I like to wear brown and rust colors a lot for my street clothes so they show what dirt gets on them less. I have a certain shirt I need to wear for my job, and athletic wear for exercising, so there you go - oh, oops, almost... I also have at home clothes too, sort of a cross between street and farm clothes. What's a girl to do? I have gotten more girly clothes-wise after doing 80-10-10 for a while (something other women I know doing 811rv have said happened to them too) but then this is practical as well, so it's not so different, right? ;)

3pm computer work at farm - tried to get Internet working from phone again.. darn Vista & my phone, ug! Finally got it, for a while at least.

The Rest
K, so I'm back! Yay! :)

I've put things in a little different format, not sure which format is most useful to y'all - this chronological way or separated by interest area (food, exercise, etc.). I'll probably go back and forth between the two until I figure it out.

So, as you can see, I've taken a job at a gym. I just help out a couple days a week with various things and get a membership, small locker and measly pay in exchange. But it's fun too. I get to meet people who like to exercise and have a place to exercise inside when it's not so nice outside. I've needed to be able to be inside lately, which was an odd thing to experience - needing to be in air conditioning, that is...

My eyes were having a hard time with the vog (volcanic fog) that blew over here from the Big Island. Our island's about the farthest away from it and the trade winds usually blow in a different direction, but since the recent volcano eruptions over there the vog's been a lot more dense. I'm so grateful that I don't live on one of the other islands, can't see how they deal with it. Apparently there's something in there that turns water into sulfuric acid or something like that and that's a hard thing for your body to deal with 'cause our mucus membranes are wet. It can cause all sorts of problems to the health of the environment and people.

More info on Vog:

So, anyway, we're the best off of the islands I believe, however the haze makes it here sometimes these days and when it does it's been really rough on my eyes. They've felt dehydrated and itchy and sometimes just too painful to keep 'em open at all. My hubby's had a bad cough for weeks from it and my son and I got a bit of a cough at times too. The thing with my eyes sort of built up, they were sensitive to wind and sunshine as well. It lasted longer than the cough after the haze seemed to clear up, guess they were still recovering. They're finally pretty much normal now, thank goodness. It also made us really tired and lethargic. I'm not sure if it was a physical or psychological effect though - probably a bit of both. I saw on the Maui news this morning that there was supposed to be haze today, and might see some of it over here, but haven't had symptoms as of yet again. I spend most of my days outdoors these days so it was sort of rough to not be able to be outside much. Apparently air conditioning helps to avoid the symptoms, guess it's either the moisture or filtering. At any rate, the gym is air conditioned so I am very grateful that I have access to it so that I can exercise there and perhaps spend bad vog eye days there doing computer work or something.

Hopefully it was an anomaly to have so much of it coming this way and we won't have that happen again, or if so, not often. It seems that the combination of fresh eruptions causing more density and volume, switching direction of winds, and then not much wind if any, and other factors made it reach this far. I have to admit that I was wondering if I was going to be able to stay here if it's gonna' last for years. The thing is, I don't know of any other place I'd like to be, so I was considering how I could do things with the situation and all. I thought of air conditioning at times, and did things with my eyes closed (good thing I have liked to try things out without my sight quite a bit in the past - it came in handy). I also got some clear lensed swim goggles and used them to get things done at the farm - until they fogged up, that is, heh. They're supposed to be the anti-fog type, but that's for in the water. I was sweating and that was fogging them up from inside. LOL So I'd do things for a while with them and then lay down with my eyes closed without them while both my eyes and the goggles recovered and then did another round.

Today, happily, I'm typing to you from the farm, no goggles, eyes open. Yay! :)

K, so enough about the vog for now...

Yes, my hubby has a farm now. Yay! It's far from home though and we can't live on it, so we're still trying to get another one, but we're back to farming and it's good. We both missed it so. The gym is near the farm, which makes it nice for escaping the vog if needed and just going over for a workout in the middle of the day if I feel like it and have the time. :)

We had lots of delays getting this farm going due to the family emergencies and all, but they've evened out enough that we're able to make enough headway to produce yummy produce consistently. We just did our first farmer's market in about 11 years last week, then did another a couple of days later. We're still working on establishing accounts with restaurants in our area again, as we have to go around and let them know we're here and give them samples of our terrific produce so they know what we're about.

It was terrific to work out at the gym today!!! It was actually the first time I used the membership I have access to and it was fun! :) I really like rowing and it's usually available even though there's only one machine. I guess it's not the current 'thing' and is sort of retro or something. Fine with me. I love it. I was joking w/my hubby today about how I should be quiet about how great it is 'cause if I talk about it too much then I might have trouble getting access to it when I want. LOL That actually happened with some of the fruits here. I introduced some of the living foods people & part time raw fooders to them and let them know what farmers I get them from and now I'm having a harder time finding enough of them. Oh well. I'm okay with the bananas anyway if needed. Cash is real tight right now and they're more expensive too, so it works out.

I haven't been exercising much for a while - somewhere around when I was posting the running posts I guess - about February. The family emergencies and vog, etc. sort of got to me and even though I love exercising now that I've been eating 80-10-10rv, exercise is still my weak area so it tends to be the first thing to go by the wayside in times of stress. That and sleep, which makes it harder to exercise too... I probably ate a bit too much fat percentage wise from it all too since I was less active. Definitely was heading in the wrong direction healthwise, but not "off the wagon" I'd say. As a result my upper thighs and butt have gotten jiggly again and I had been feeling not as vibrant as when I have more of the 80-10-10/Natural Hygiene elements of health going better. I'm hoping with the new realization that I can exercise and do computer work in the air conditioned gym if it's too voggy will help me get back on track and heading back towards increased health again. I can feel the difference already, really, I can.

Yesterday I took some time off of the farm and caught up on some sleep and rebounded a bit, which helped get me started again. I was a bit at a loss of how to get back into the swing of things before. I had been doing pushups and jump squats/lunges, etc. off and on. My legs seem about the same strength and endurance, but I found I wasn't able to do as many pushups as I'd been doing before. I could still do them, just not as many. So, I'm gonna' have to get them back too. I figure I'll have to start over with the running too 'cause I hadn't gotten it down much yet. The thing is, I can't do it very reliably with the vog and the schedule I have right now, so I'm thinking of trying to figure out how to use the treadmills at the gym so I have a backup. I'd figured out a path of sorts through and around the garden too so I can use a combination of that and the treadmill and the route at home to get that going again.

I wanted to work in Ashtanga and have an instructional video that I can follow along with now so I'm gonna' try to set up a spot where I can do it at the farm and use my laptop. All this might take a bit to get going, but I have a plan and am working on it so it's all good. Besides, I need to start back gradually, right? I'm going to be exercising after my shifts at the gym and one other day to start with. I want to try out a lot of the classes too, so I'll have to work them in irregularly when I can. Well, you'll see, I'll record what I actually do as I do it here and then we'll all see. :)

So, I guess that's enough of an update for now. I'll update you more as it comes up. Oh, and I plan to come back to this post and post the rest of my day later when I'm at home or tomorrow...

It's good to be back! :)


1 comment:

  1. It's so good to have you back again Janie! I have been wondering about you and if the volcano had affected your family, home and farm plans.

    I'm glad you plan to continue posting. You are always so motivational, honest and open about how different things affect you now that you've been raw for several years. I like knowing what might be down the road and how someone else had dealt with it.

    Thank you for your wonderful, informative blog and all you do to help others on their own raw journeys!

    Terry in the Keys